Saturday, July 28, 2007

"These are the BEST!"

Last night we had some friends over for dinner. It was a lot of fun and the weather turned out to be quite nice. I had planned on eating outside on the deck and letting the kids play on the play ground. But all morning it rained and was so cloudy all afternoon. But then the evening came and it was just lovely. We grilled hamburgers and hotdogs, had fresh watermelon, and thanks to a friend of mine here in Pittsburgh, I tried a new recipe for some HEAVENLY salsa. The kind with corn, black beans, avocado, cilantro...etc. And of course one of our favorites. . . pretzel jello salad. I should post the recipe to that. It is delish! And I also made a couple of different desserts for the kids and adults to munch on. Let's just say there was plenty of food. I guess I was starving during the day so I thought we needed a ton. :) The sister missionaries showed up and so we were able to have plenty of food for them too. It was great. And no mess for me in the dining room. (aka CRUMBS.) So, our friends have 4 children, one of which is reading and he is only 5. Can you believe that. And not just reading "cat" and "dog." He is reading HARRY POTTER!!! Geez. I thought Jackson was smart. So, one of the desserts I made is called, "Rice Krispies Deluxe" Thanks mom. They are a real treat! All the kids came upstairs around 10pm asking for some dessert. I showed them what I had and they all wanted some of both desserts. Minus the reader. He dry heaved at the krispies. :) Crazy kid. The oldest little girl takes one bit and looks at me and says, "Umm, are these home made?" I said "Yes." And she ended it with "THESE ARE THE BEST!!!" I loved every second of it. Not that Jason doesn't make me feel good about my cooking, but the boys, especially Jackson always tell me "I don't like that." BEFORE he has even tried it. So, those kids are welcome here anytime! :)

Isn't she getting so big? My neighbor let me use her little seat and I really love it. Anyone with a new baby should get one. Ellie will sit in for quite awhile.
Little Noah. . . so sweet.
This is the rest of the pretzel jello salad. I will post the recipe to that next time. It is a bit longer. :)

Rice Krispies Deluxe
2 lbs white chocolate (I used almond bark)
1 cup peanut butterPosted by Picasa
melt the chocolate on the stove and then add the pb. Stir until creamy. I also think they are better with half the amount of chocolate. Or try 1 1/2 lbs.

then stir together in a separate bowl:
3 1/2 cups rice Krispies
2 cups marshmallows (I add lots more than that!)
2 1/2 dry roasted peanuts (I don't add those, but I did the first time)
1 bag mini M&M's (add very last to the whole thing)

After the chocolate mixture has cooled a bit, add it to the dry mixture. And add the M&M's last. They tend to really melt. I learned that first hand!
Drop on wax paper and let sit several hours.

Avocado Salsa
This is so good!!! You are going to scarf it!
Ingredients:
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
6-8 Roma tomatoes
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
1 packet Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
1/4 cup vinegar
3 TBSP water
1/2 cup oil
2 avocados, diced
Directions:
combine corn, black beans, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. In a separate bowl make the dressing according to the pkg directions. Pour over mixture. Stir in the avocados just before serving.


5 comments:

Tanya said...

I bought a Bumbo seat, but Lars will arch his back and pop right out of the thing. So...we have used it for a total of 5 minutes. Stubborn little guy.

Brooklet said...

Ooh, the rice crispies treat looks like such a yummy recipe- I am going to have to try it- so why don't you make me a batch and bring it over!!! j/k

And what four year old is reading harry potter?!! That's crazy!!!

Sandy said...

I am so hungry right now that I am already mentally going through my cupboards to see if I have ingredients to all of those recipes, they look so good! Ellie looks so cute in that little chair, I'm gonna have to get one for this baby...I'm all about the entertainment "stations" around the house...swing, bouncy seat, etc. I'd love to add another to keep them happy.

Jocelyn said...

I love that pic of Ellie in the Bumbo seat. I love pretzel jello salad and I love Mom's Rice Krispies Deluxe. That avocado salsa sounds delicious and I want to make it.

Whit said...

gotta love the pretzel jello recipe... it is one of our favorite too! Have I told you how funny I think you are - classic... love it. We miss and love you guys. And, I am sure, you honestly don't need to lose any weight (aka: newer posts), you always are looking fantastic; flat workout or hill workout you are fine! Ha.