Monday, April 21, 2008

La Quincinera!!


My baby turned ONE!! Last Thursday Ellie had her first birthday. And we did nothing. I am not a big believer of throwing a one year old a big bash. But if someone else is going to do all the work. . . count me in. And so I have to say that Debi is an all star mommy. My girlfriend Debi has a daughter that is one day younger than Ellie and she loves doing parties for their first birthday. She asked me if I was planning on doing anything, then we both just laughed. She knows me well. Debi wanted to do something for Molly and thought it would be fun to combine it. And that sounded like a lot of fun to me. She sent the invites, made the cakes and decided on the theme. Anyone that knows me at all knows I do NOT like the "princess" thing either. But Debi did such a great job with it and I loved every bit. (There were no characters involved). You all know what I mean. I learned what a smash cake was and how do go about doing it. Ellie wasn't too sure of it either. I had to literally smash it in her face. Gently that is. :) The cakes were in the shape of little tiara's with their names on them. And the actual cake was a castle. Way to go Debi. . . again. We served hamburgers, baked beans, salsa, cookies and chips. All very yummy. Who doesn't LOVE a great bbq with so many good friends?
I am so glad we did have a party for Ellie. Even if I didn't do any of the work. Hey, I did make some food. That was work wasn't it? :) I loved celebrating the special day that Ellie entered my world. She is one thing in my life that makes me happier than I ever thought imaginable. I love every bit of that girl. EVERY BIT!! And besides the fact that she isn't walking, she IS doing some other very impressive tricks.

*Ellie has been clapping for several months
*She waves"hi"
*She holds up one finger when asked how old she is
*She knows where her nose is and her tongue
*She can CRAWL! :)
*Ellie says, "So big!" with her arms
*She knows how to do "yes" and "no" (No was learned very early).
*She will dance to music
*Ellie is beginning to sort shapesI have to say a huge thanks again to Debi for making such a special day for our girls. She really went all out and I loved it. Maybe I will do it for my next child's first. NO, that was NOT an announcement. Not even close. But one day. :) Happy Birthday little El's!!!

For Ellie's birthday both Grandparents gave her a doll. Grandma and Grandpa Kohler gave her an American Girl baby doll that I LOVE. I have always wanted to have a girl to do all these girlie things with. And American Girl? Hello. Why didn't I ever have one? And Grandma and Grandpa Smythe gave her a Cabbage Patch Kid. I LOVED those when I was little. I remember getting one for SEVERAL years every Christmas. So it is something I planned on doing with Ellie. And it is never too soon to start with dolls. :) Ellie loves both dolls so much. She is a true girl. Thanks to all the other friends that brought such wonderful gifts. She is a lucky little girl to have so many people that care about her. And I do have a wonderful family and fantastic friends. :)(Jason just got home from work and asked me if I had looked at my blog lately. I told him I had a few minutes ago and he told me he changed the title to this post. I said, "La Quincinera?" And he said, "Yeah, I changed it to 'I'm One!'" I asked him why and he told me he thought I was confused, that a quincinera was for 15. PUH-LEASE!!! I know what a quincinera is. That was a bit of a joke with some friends I have here. Just in case any of you were thinking I didn't know my Spanish. I do. :) Feliz Quincinera!!!!)

27 comments:

McKelle said...

Wow! You're lucky that you didn't have to do anything. I can't believe that she's one. She's so cute!

I was thinking back to our high school days a couple of days ago and was laughing until I was crying just thinking about that night making cookies....Do you know how late it is? hahahahah!!! Good old BK. He's always good for a laugh.

Jill said...

I've been waiting for this post for a few days now...what a cutie pie! That cake is darling...what a good friend to do that for you. Happy Birthday Ellie-I can't wait to squish you. BTW, William asked if you had another baby in your tummy and I told him "no" and he said "Why not? She always has a baby in her tummy!" So funny!

Tanya said...

Ha, ha, I have to laugh at Jill's comment, actually Will's. It's about time for another baby in the tummy, right.

Lars loves to play with dolls, too! I guess it's the fatherly thing already :) ha, ha.

Arah Debra said...

I love those cheeks on that girl. She is just so precious. I really need to meet her in person before those cheeks go away. Happy Birthday Ellie!

Libby said...

have i ever told you how cute i think ellie is :)?! i can't believe she is 1! i was thinking as i read this post about the first post i read of yours- ever...it was a post i think of her being 4 months old. that seems like yesterday! happy birthday ellie!

Jocelyn said...

I am sad she's already one! That went way too fast! Looks like a really cute party, and awesome of Debi to do most of the work for it. Her present from me is coming... I've been a bit busy with all the packing/moving/selling house crap... but it's coming, I promise!

And I laughed when I read McKelle's comment... does she know that we get good laughs whenever we remember that night... which is a lot! It was classic! (It was like 9:30!) LOL!!

{Jason and Elan} said...

Happy Birthday Ellie! Maybe it is a good thing that she is not walking yet because then she would lose all of her chub. And it is so cute! So was her birthday more like a quincinera than a first birthday?

Sandy said...

She is so adorable, I just want to squeeze her!! I can't believe she's one already...time is flying by way too fast. Boo hoo!

Rachel said...

What a fun party. Ellie looks so much like you. I love the picture of you placing the cake on her face. YUMM. I will have to remember to call Debi when Luke has a party =) I wouldnt even know where to begin if I wanted to go all out.

wackywilsons said...

I am glad you are still so fresh with your Spanish...quincinera...maybe you will throw her one of those as well...but, that would actually require some more work on you part:)

Aren't good friends the best? I am so glad that you and Ellie could share that special day with another adorable "princess."

You do such a great job juggling your three little ones.

Kari said...

SOOO cute! Good job at allowing others to plan Ellie's birthday party! ;) She looks so cute, I can't believe she's already a year old. I remember reading your post about her blessing day. Man it goes by fast!

Michele said...

Love the Spanish! Where the heck was Debi when I didn't feel like throwing a birthday party? Then again Ellie is special...not the short bus special...the kind of special where you take one look in those big beautiful eyes and you would do anything for her...look out boys in about 15 years!

Krissy Lowe said...

Ellie is such a doll. I just want to squeeze her. Looks like a lot of fun, and by the way reading your little list there, looks like I need to start working with Logan on some tricks.

Anonymous said...

Ellie looked super cute at her party. Although, for all her chubbs, I expected her to demolish her cake a bit more! I can't believe she can sort shapes, I really can't see Aubrey doing that in 3 months - Ellie's gonna be a smart one!

Jana said...

I should emphasize that Ellie is BEGINNING to sort shapes. She isn't 100% yet.
Melanie,
I have a feeling Aubrey will be walking sooner than Ellie.

Amy said...

Happy 1st birthday Ellie. You are exactly right to celebrate ALL the wonderful things she can do. It sounds great to have all the perks of a party without having to do anything. Sign me up.

Radene said...

Cute pictures. Ellie will thank you when she's older that you did in fact celebrate her birthday ;-)

Radene said...

ps. when I was in spanish in high school I signed my papers, "La Reina del Mundo" (I'd like to think I was a favorite. I had great Spanish teachers!...if only I could remember the spanish now though...)

Lisa said...

I have to say that I was confused by the whole quincinera thing so I'm glad you cleared that up!

Ellie is so adorable and I need to see you all again soon. Just wait 'til we get in our house. Oh, and then you can stay with Kristin and Abram. j/k - you'd better stay with us! : )

Denise said...

I totally agree about skipping out on most 1 year old birthday parties but this one looked great. What a nice friend. Ellie is darling.

Brooklet said...

It was a really cute birthday party- especiallu eating of the cake. Ellie was so dainty about it at first. Both Ellie and Molly were so adorable for the their birthday!

Good job Debi on the cakes!

Will & Cheyenne said...

Hey Jana!!!
It's Cheyenne! How the heck are you? Your family is PRECIOUS! And you are GORGEOUS!!
So nice to get back in touch! Isn't this blogging thing great?
Cheyenne
www.hayes-herd.blogspot.com

emandteem said...

happy birthday Ellie! Wow, I can't believe it's been a whole year already.

Hillary said...

Ellie is so darling! Those cheeks...look so kissable! Isn't it crazy when you look back and see how time has seriously flown?

Bringhursts said...

Happy Birthday, Ellie! I love the age of one.

Renae said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that isn't big on the princess thing! The party looked fun though. I think pictures are the only reason for a 1-year old bash. It's not like the kids remember it. But the cake all over the face is a must. Ellie is darling (as is your whole family!!!

Kimo said...

I can't believe Ellie is already One! Where did the year go?!?

As for 'Princess Things', you may be surprised to hear that I am not that much into them as well (I know, I know, HUGE surprise!), but, right about the time Sarah turned 3, SHE was all about princesses, and all that comes with them, and I couldn't avoid it at all (now I have even given in and purchased princess dress-up clothes, and a Disney Princess storybook (we even went to see Snow White at the Ballet) - see what I mean . . . princess inundation against my will - and I love it!