Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Vamos a Washington D.C.!!!!

Last weekend we decided to take a little get away vacation to Washington D.C. and it was so much fun. We had a blast. The weather was good, and the kids were all wonderful. It was so fun to just spend uninterrupted time together. No pager, no email, no dumb hospital.

We left on Friday after Jason was off work and arrived at the hotel around 9pm. We stayed at the Hotel Monaco and it was really ni
ce. No complaints. And awesome location for getting around to the museums, restaurants, and shopping. Jackson slept with me in the bed and Jason slept with Noah in the roll away bed. NOT my idea. But Jason is a sucker for those boys and gave into Noah begging for his daddy. Ellie was in her little crib. Everyone got good rest. I guess "good rest" is relative. :)
Saturday we were out of the hotel by 8:30am, thinking the museums opened at 9am. Wrong. Try 10. And it was chilly so we walked until we found an open place to go inside and wait it out. Boring. But finally the time came and we headed for the Air and Space Museum. The boys loved it. Aside from being a little tired, they were great. No major problems. That is probably why the weekend was such a hit for me. Then we rode the Metro to the Zoo and had a SUPER fun time. I would say it was the favorite. The boys were running wild. That zoo is pretty impressive. I really loved it. Even Ellie had a fun time. At least that is what I say. She got her first Ritz cracker and went to town. After a few hours at the zoo, we took the metro again to go shopping and get something to eat. Riding the metro was HUGE for the boys. Thrilling I'd say. I think it would be pretty neat to live somewhere where there was underground transportation. I love using it. We made it back to the hotel around 10ish and hit the sack! We were beat. Jackson wanted to walk the whole day so he was exhausted. To say the least. At times he would squat and take a breather. And whine a bit. He is 4.Sunday we headed back to the Natural History Museum to see the dinosaurs and all the animals. Also a very fun time. Jackson learned what makes a mammal . . . a mammal. Do you know? Try and guess. I didn't know either. 1. has hair. 2. the mothers produce milk 3. mammals have inner ears. Nice.

After the museum, we went to check out of the hotel, and headed to another shopping mall to eat before we left. . . and shop a little. :) I loved it. Of course I found some new things for Ellie. You know me. We ate the the California Pizza Kitchen and it was yumma. I ate like a cow that weekend. I failed to mention my new found love affair with apple fritters. Who knew they were so heavenly? Emily D. opened my eyes to them last November at Dean and Deluca. Holy yum. And now the void has been filled thanks to Starbucks. Hence, the eating like a cow comment. (And Hershey's with almonds). Don't judge. :)

The drive home was fine. It actually felt quick. With the help of Baby Einstein, Ellie handles road trips fabulously.

Thanks Jason for taking us to D.C. It was a much needed family trip.

24 comments:

Jennifer said...

YOU ARE AWESOME. I don't think I would have chosen DC with our age of kids, but it sounds like a fun time was had by all. I love the pictures!

Megan said...

Was this an early "birthday trip"?? Happy B-day Lady! The trip looked like so much fun! I can't believe how big the kids are getting. I can't wait to see them and you guys in June. Can't wait!!!

Kimberly said...

Everyone keeps going on trips. I'm totally jealous! Oh well enough Boo Whoowing I should just go somewhere. I'm glad you all had such a good time.

Amy said...

You definitely needed a trip away with your family. Sounds like loads of fun. Happy Birthday!

JoDell said...

Sounds like fun! D.C. is such a great place to visit. It's nice to just get away for a weekend and focus on nothing but your family. Glad you had a good time. (Happy b-day, by the way!)

Cara said...

Well, first of all, Happy Birthday. :) Your trip sounded like fun. Trips with little ones are risky...glad yours was a success! :) You are braver than me and I guess it paid off. And the pictures are so cute.

EFN Newsletter said...

1. I'm proud to say I knew that about the mammals because I've seen that movie several hundred times. Max LOVES the Natural History Museum.

2. Did Jason seriously cart Noah around in that thing all day every day? Impressive.

{Jason and Elan} said...

Your trip sounds like it was so much fun! Also, I LOVE the huge bow in Ellie's hair. So cute.
The east coast has so much to offer, that is great that you get to see all of these neat things.

Jocelyn said...

I love the boys in their hats (especially how low Noah wears his)! And I love the thumbs up Jackson is giving you in the last one. Super cute! Sounds like a fun weekend trip! I have never been there. :(

McKelle said...

Happy Birthday Fatty! Sounds like a fun weekend!

McKelle said...

Oh, check out my blog. I dedicated it to you.

Gina said...

I am glad you got to have a little getaway! Nice little bday present!

Kari said...

You're lucky to live so close to so many cool places! It looks like it was a lot of fun. You look fabulous, by the way. There was one picture (I think from the Easter post) that showed a full body shot of you and I can't believe how THIN you are! I mean, you've always been thin, but after three kids you still look amazing! :)

shannon said...

how fun, totally jealous that you live close enough to some amazing places to just "get away" for the weekend...our "get away's" consist of idaho...st.george...moab...DC sounds so much better to me!

Michele said...

Happy Birthday girlfriend! I have a little something for you! Your trip has inspired me to make the effort to bring the girls to DC.

Linda said...

I'm glad you guys had fun. I love going to DC and the museums. And the kids look cute as always, especially little Ellie.

Arah Debra said...

Wow! That was a jam packed weekend! It sound like you guys had a great time. I would love to take Gavin to DC. You guys are so lucky you can just drive to fun places like that.

emily said...

Such CUTE pictures! You guys are seriously brave taking 3 kids on a trip like that...but it sounds like it worked! Very impressive. I am exhausted just thinking about it.

And I'm so glad to know that I have a fellow fritter addict. Seriously...I was at the same dean and deluca a few weeks ago and bought an Xlarge one. Mmmmmm, I could feel the rolls on my sides getting bigger as I ate. And might I just say it was TOTALLY worth it?!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Toner, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://toner-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Tanya said...

Love DC, love everything about it. Hope I can live there again some day.

emandteem said...

Sounds like a fun trip, especially time with Jason. Happy late birthday, by the way!

wackywilsons said...

You and your family is so darn cute..your beautiful auburn hair, I love it!

How far away is DC from where you live? What a great family adventure...how lucky to go out and do such a GREAT thing!!!

My goal in life is to somehow make it back East...there are so many things i want to see and do. Let's just make a family vacation and come and visit you!

Pitcherpost said...

Well, I really admire you guys. When I have 3 kids (IF I ever have 3 kids) I'm not leaving the house until they are all in elementary school.

Trimbles said...

I LOVE DC! Im trying to get Christopher to go with me next year to that Radiology conference something or other... Im so Jealous!