Sunday, October 5, 2008

Boston and Vermont

Boston. . .
We have been back for almost a week now, but I just figured out how to do that grid thing so it has taken me awhile to post this. Our trip to Boston and Vermont was great. In short, here is what we did.
Marriott Residence Inn. We got into Boston around 11pm. I went to pull the sofa bed out and found no mattress. One little call from your truly and off we went to the PENT HOUSE. Hello two story hotel room. That was wonderful. We love the Residence Inn because it is like staying in a house. Especially when it is bigger than our actual house. :) And the yummy breakfast each morning. Mmmmm.
Whale watching. This was AMAZING. Whales were 20 feet away from our boat and it was so close you could see the white under belly. Loved it. Luckily the weather was prefect this day. Breezy and cool, but nice. By far one of my favorite days of the trip.
Freedom Trail. I loved this. Paul Revere's home was pretty neat to see. The boys were B.O.R.E.D. to say the least.
Trolley tour. It was POURING rain so this was really our only option. Too bad the vinyl windows were covered in steam so we saw very little. And to be honest, I really didn't care. :) I just wanted to sit and be dry. We were dripping with water. Ellie was out of control at one point so we decided to get off. In the rain. With no appropriate gear. Drenched. And in the theater distract too. Bor-ing. And when we went to board the next trolley, there weren't 5 seats available. So we waited another 25 minutes in the rain. So fun.
Quincy Market. YUM-O is all I have to say. I could have spent several hours in there. Me and food. . . together at last.Ben and Jerry's was tons of fun. Our tour guide was a little strange, but made us laugh. Did you know how unsuccessful Ben and Jerry were destined to be? And who doesn't love some free samples of yummy ice cream? The boys loved it there. For obvious reasons.
Salem. The scary witches. We had a fun time there. And that is a really cute little town. We even found a bit of Mormon history there. But I don't remember what. I know, I was really fascinated by it.
The boys bought swords that make "clanging" sounds when they move. Like metal on metal. And they are the WORST swords EVER! They went off NON-STOP the whole drive home. I ended up shoving and wedging them in the back of the van under all our luggage, hoping they would break. But no. They win the award for the world's most durable toy. SERENITY NOW!
Vermont. . .
I loved every bit of it. We spent 3 nights there in a beautiful resort town called Stowe. Check it out if you are ever heading to Vermont. It was prettier than I ever imagined. And we hit it at a perfect time. The trees were all rich with color and the weather was so fall like. It was everything I was wanting it to be.
We rode the Gondola to the tallest peak there and although there were too many clouds to see the bottom, the ride up was breathtaking. We were all a bit freezing once we hit the top. :)
Each day we ate at different local restaurants and each day we ate a ton. The food was so delish!
We stayed at the Green Mountain Inn and it was perfect. Jason took the kids all swimming in the "nicely heated" pool and they loved it. Especially Ellie.
We spent a lot of time driving up mountains and getting out to take scenic pictures. Something I actually think is lame unless you are a good photographer. But it was just too gorgeous not to capture. Unfortunately, I am no photographer so the pictures will never do ti justice. And I stand firm on believing there should be people in pictures. (Unless you are skilled like I mentioned earlier).
We also drove to Burlington, Lake Champlain and spent a few hours walking and shopping on Church Street. Very fun. And apparently we ate the world's best chicken fingers. Coated it Kellogg's and almonds. I had mine in a wrap with sweet potato fries and get this. . . horseradish honey mustard dip!! It was heaven. I think I need to use "the Google" to find the recipe. (Did anyone get that?)
Then we drove half way back home and stayed in New York for the night. Panera in the hotel room. And a little bit of Gossip Girl for me while the boys went out to get dinner. (Stop judging me. I am not perfect).
It was one of the best family vacations we have taken. We loved every bit of it. And I highly recommend taking the time to go to Vermont in the fall. There really is nothing like it.

I had to add some extra pics that are already in the grid but for some reason heads are cut off. I guess I didn't really learn how to do it all that well after all. :)

12 comments:

Bringhursts said...

Holy cow! Now that's an awesome vacation. My vacation to Boston was one of my favorites ever. I was so in love with the Freedom Trail since I'm a history nerd. Glad you had a good time!

Lisa said...

I can't believe how grown up little Ellie looks, so cute! Looks like SUCH a fun vacation. Can't wait to see you guys this weekend! Oh, and tell Jason he's on my bad side for telling Abram you guys would be staying at their house; Yeah right!

Gina said...

It was good to get the REAL update. When people ask "How was your trip" there is never much detail. I am the same way. "It was so fun!..blah blah blah" Way to go on the Pent house!

Amy said...

I didn't even know you did this. How fun. I've never been to Boston or Vermont. Both looked beautiful and fun. Lots of things to see and do. I've never even seen a Pent house let alone stayed in one. Must have been super sweet especially with all the kiddies...tons of room!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous, Zach and I were set on going to Vermont this fall, dang him and his interviews! I'm so sad....Quincy market was one of our favorite parts of Boston, we spent A LOT of time there, just eating, and eating, and eating.....

Will & Cheyenne said...

Those are beautiful pics! Love the Pent house too! I got a day with Hillary (kneener-kneener!)!!

:)
Cheyenne

Hillary said...

Holy crap that sounds soooo fun! It is one of my dreams to visit there in the fall. How awesome for your fam. You look beautiful as ever and your Ellie...is seriously gorgeous!!

Jocelyn said...

Sounds and looks like a super fun trip. I want to go there in the Fall so bad. You picked the perfect time to go. I love all the pictures. Good job on the grid thing (even though some heads didn't make it) you still did good... sorry I didn't call you back about that.

wackywilsons said...

Your vacation did sound very educational, pretty and scenic. How long were you gone?

Your kids are getting so big...holy cow!

I love that you still wore flip flops everywhere too:)

Rachel said...

cool trip. now I am feeling all regretful about never going to VT or Boston. we may never go back out east, we're such losers.. BTW, nice witchy black nails, very fitting.

Arah Debra said...

You guys are so ambitious with your family vacation. Sounds like it was nonstop. I love that you took a break in New York for Gossip Girl. You crack me up! Sounds like an awesome time. I've always wanted to visit Vermont in the fall. So jealous!

Kimo said...

Looks like a fun trip! Next time make a stop in Connecticut (you know, we are right in between Boston and New York City) and you can stay in our penthouse suite above the garage ;) .