Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Memory #1

I should for sure stop reading Amberly's blog. She keeps inspiring me to do new things. :)

This month I am going to record a Christmas memory from my past, or tradition, or anything I want that has to do with Christmas. So here it goes.

One of my BEST Christmas memories was the only Christmas I got to spend as a full time missionary in Argentina. I was serving in my second area, Bariloche. And it was gorgeous!! It will always hold a very special place in my heart. The people there, the scenery, and the amazing work I was able to do while there.

That Christmas was the first time I got to talk to my family while on my mission and it was wonderful. And although it was a big highlight of my day, it was by no means the best part of my day. (Maybe at the time I thought it was, but looking back, I learned so much more that day about what Christmas really means.)

My companion and I asked to use the phone of the Troncoso family and we were able to spend some of the day with them, in their tiny home, watching their small children gleam with excitement at the sight of a single toy for all of them to share. Their home was one of the smallest I have ever seen. And all dirt floors. The bathroom was an outhouse and the family all slept in one room, with one bed. There were 5 of them.

But they still gave so much to everyone around them. I can remember MANY days where we would be out tracting and they would see us and spend the few cents they had on a bit of juice for us. Or invite us to eat with them. And it was no different the day of Christmas. They gave us the best food they could and helped make the Christmas of 2 North American girls as memorable and special as possible. Whatever it was, I know it was always a sacrifice for them and I learned that Christmas truly isn't about "getting" but always about "giving".


That day we sang songs, played with the kids, and my companion and I shared a Christmas message with them that touched each of us. And reminded all of us why Christmas is such a special day.


Experiencing Christmas with their 3 small children, as they shared one single present made me so sad at first. But now I see how wonderful that really is. Those kids didn't care. They were just happy to get something. I don't know if I have ever been that selfless. I'm pretty sure I haven't.


Nothing new to any of us, but how easily I forget when someone asks me what I want. I seem to have an endless list going on in my mind. But I am grateful to know in my heart that getting things isn't what will make us happy. It's simple. Living the gospel will. And I'm thankful to have learned that day after day as a missionary, in so many different ways.

7 comments:

Amberly said...

perfect start to my december, thank you. I am trying to find a balance between making this magical and great for my kids, serving those around me and keeping things centered on Christ. this was a great reminder for me... thank you!

Will & Cheyenne said...

Good story!

wackywilsons said...

A beautiful memory! Well written too. I will be spending this Christmas in Argentina too...yet, so very different than Hna Lowe. Now I am mamacita Adriana!

Avery Worthington said...

thanks for sharing. I love what your friend Amberly said. It's amazing to me how I can get focused on things that are so NOT important, not even realizing it. And I know that whatever I prioritize and make the most important in my life, my kids do the same. Just like the kiddos in your story, they didn't care about the gifts. Thanks again, I totally needed that.

Hillary said...

Yeah, sorry about that, Avery is my babysitter and obviously uses the computer while she babysits. She's so busted.

Kari said...

Awesome story! I even teared up a bit. Mission experiences are so humbling. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Magic Mama said...

I love the Troncosos and think of them often.