Thursday, January 7, 2010

Panic

I dropped Jackson off at the bus stop this morning at 8:30am. Then went back home, cleaned up breakfast, packed the car with the other kids and dropped Ellie and Noah off at pre-school at 9am. Then I took Carson to his Dr appointment by 9:30.

My morning was running fine. Totally normal. I turned my phone on vibrate at the Dr's office and of course people called. When the Dr. left, I checked to see who called. It was Lakewood Elementary. Jackson's school. So, I quickly called them back thinking Jackson might be sick.

Then the nurse came in to give Carson his second dose of the H1N1 flu shot.

The lady at the school asked me if Jackson wasn't coming to school today. I said, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! He was on the bus this morning."

She said, "Ohhhh, well, he isn't in class. He is marked absent. I will call you right back and check down there."

I said, "No, I'll hold."

TWO MINUTES LATER, she came back. I was having a serious panic attack. Serious. The tears were swelling up and the worst was going through my mind. This is all while poor little Carson is laying there getting a shot and his mother is doing nothing to help console. And the nurse was trying to deal with crazy mom and sad, neglected baby.

When she FINALLY came back, (it felt like much longer) she said, "Oh, I'm so sorry. He's here. How silly."

I said, "NO! How NOT silly!" I mean really. Silly? That's the appropriate word to use? Then I asked her how something like that happens she said, "It's a glitch in the system."

Fix your glitch! Those 3 minutes of me feeling like Jackson was snatched up at the bus stop were 3 of my most fearful minutes.

I'm so mad at Lakewood. Try double checking next time you call a PREGNANT mother about her missing, but not really missing child!!!

17 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my gosh! I bet those 2 minutes felt forever. My heart was racing just reading it. Silly... come on! Right a letter my dear... a strongly worded letter... if not about the glitch than at least about the lady who treated you like that.

Gina said...

WOW! Talk about a mother's worst nightmare! I can't believe she wasn't more apologetic! I am glad Jackson is a-ok though. FREAK!

libby said...

I'm surprised you didn't say more to her on the phone! I would have probably been screaming by the time the word "silly" came out of her mouth! I guess that's why we all know you're a better person than me. :) Glad to know Jackson's safe.

Denise said...

Oh, I am so sorry. That sounds terrible. For sure a nightmare. Hopefully that lady won't mind if you start calling every day just to make sure Jackson made it to school safely!

Rachel said...

geez! terrible. I'm glad he's okay. holy crap!

Megan said...

Go to the school. Today. Tell Jason he has to come home and take all the kids and you get your buns down there and talk to the principal. Are you kidding me? That is the worst thing I have ever heard of a school doing! Oh my gosh I am smoking mad right now! silly?!!!!!

Linda said...

Yikes! I think those few minutes would feel like eternity for any mom! I can't believe she treated the situation so casually too. You definately should report it to someone. When it concerns someone's child, there should never be glitches.

melanie said...

I can only imagine how sick you felt for those mintues, and probably afterwards still! I hope you said more then "how not silly". Someone at the school needed to feel some heat. That is so irresponsible to give you a scare like that. On the other hand, you shouldn't take advice from me. I chewed out a librarian yesterday over something much much more minor. And it was in front of some of my friends here who don't know me well enough to know that's not completely my typical behavior...I'm embarrassed. And my due date is next tuesday but I'm being induced tomorrow morning!

Will & Cheyenne said...

I am so sorry! That kind of stuff is the worst!

Brooklet said...

Melanie- WhAT!! tomorrow?!!

Jana- that is horrible. It is one of the worst mistake that a school can make- your five year old didn't show up at school today, oh, oops, psych. how silly. I hope they learned how not silly that kind of mistake is.

Jennifer said...

Having a child taken is my worst nightmare. I am so crazy when it comes to looking at all the people at the park and in public places, trying to figure out if they plan to kidnap my children. I am so sorry that happened and I think a little chat with the principal of your school is necessary. What a freak, "silly"! How about, "I am soooooo sorry, there must have been a glitch in the system. Next time we will double check before calling the parent to inform them there kindergartener is missing." YIKES!

JoDell said...

Seriously?! Silly? The word doesn't cut it. Incredible...

I'm glad Jackson is safe!

Michele said...

Jana that is probably the worst thing that could happen...well besides him really being missing. I am so sorry you had to be tortured and my heart goes out to you...and I personally want to slap that lady!

jared & amber said...

That's horrible. I'm so glad Jackson is okay and that this story ended well.

Debi said...

Those things don't happen here in Mt. Lebanon....that's what you get for moving. NO sympathy from me. Ok, I'm just kidding. I"m still reeling that you left me here. But that has always been my nightmare. From the moment I realized I couldn't be mom to a newborn and take Sophie to school- I started letting her walk last spring. Every day I pray she makes it to school and home. I think I would not be as nice as you if I EVER got a phone call like that.

wackywilsons said...

Such a post! I am so glad that he is okay...made my heart skip a beat too. You wrote it so well. Happy mama and happy son.

Zwick family said...

Oh my gosh!!! WOuldn't they have thought to check , and then double-check before they call and give a parent one of the worst phone calls that you could receive? You should write a letter to the administration about this lady. Maybe find her a job that she's better at, like flipping burgers at McDonald's!
In your defense, I can only imagine how worried you would've been when you heard that. You worry about everything so much as it is!!! I would've probably driven over just to make sure that that lady REALLY did see him there. Talk about a crazy morning. Doesn't it always happen like that? I was oging to ask you, where do you buy those round pancake pans to make those pancake balls that you were on t.v. making? My grandma Zwick used to make them, and I really want to get one to make them for my kids. I know they would LOVE them. You can Email me @ pencer3@hotmail.com

Love,
Andrea