Sunday, June 22, 2008

8 Years!


I am a couple of days late in posting this, but I always love this time of June.

Eight years ago, on June 21, 2000, I entered the M.T.C. for my mission to Neuquen, Argentina. And I can honestly say it was the BEST 18 months of my life. And by far the HARDEST. Much harder than I thought it would be. And far more REWARDING than I dreamed of. I honestly think I would go back in a heart beat if given the second chance
.The M.T.C. was such a wonderful place for me. I had a great companion and awesome district. For those that don't know, I met Elder Smythe there. Wonderful District Leader. :) It was a long 9 weeks and also some of the funnest times. Then it was off to Argentina. Jason is standing right next to me.I remember meeting all my family and friends there in the airport, (pre 9/11) and having a final chance to say good bye. It was HARD!!! I can remember crying my heart out to my mom and telling her that I didn't want to go anymore and that I had changed my mind. She may not even have heard what I said as it was probably impossible to understand me through all my sobs. And I distinctly remember her saying to me, "Oh what? You want me to take your luggage off the plane and cancel everything?!!" Telling me in a sarcastic tone. And I immediately said, "YES!" She gave me a last hug and encouraged me as a mom does. Even the Elder in charge of traveling got off the plane to make sure I was going to board it. My dad told him, "Yes, she is coming. And help her with her things." It's funny to think back on that day and all those crazy emotions I went through. I now see that was only the beginning. I arrived in Argentina as the only sister, and was very anxious to meet the President and his wife. Presidente George y Hermana George. WONDERFUL WONDERFUL people. He taught me some of life's greatest lessons. And Hermana George taught me priceless principles of motherhood. I will never forget them or the impact they had on my life as a woman, mother, wife and child of God. They were prefect examples of the life I want to live. It's amazing to be such an intricate part of building the Kingdom of God. Something I need to focus on more often than I do.I could obviously go on and on about my mission experience and how it was incredible, amazing, life changing, challenging, strengthening, etc. But I won't. :) That is what my mission journals are for. I just wanted to document this special time for me to remember and think about. It never hurts to have reminders of the things that make us who we are. And for me, I am still learning from my mission. I can't imagine my life without that experience. Especially without Jason. :)
Ahhh, June 21st.
(I aplogize for the horrible quality of my pictures. I have no clue how to work my scanner. Just pushing the button isn't seeiming to work. So, these are pictures of pictures). And proof that I can get dirty when for a good cause. For all those that find it hard to see me as a missionary in South America. Give me some credit! :) I would do it over and over again.

26 comments:

McKelle said...

I remember getting our calls and thinking that our calls had been switched. You to Spain, and me to South America. Little did we know that we both had people to meet in our own areas and reasons we were called where we were. One thing I totally disagree with though, is going again. I would go if i was a senior missionary (easy!), but I've had nightmares about being called on another mission. In my opinion, a mission is an experience you wouldn't take a million dollars to give up, but wouldn't pay a penny to do again. I loved my mission. I don't regret it. I wouldn't take it back, and I thank you for inspiring me to go. I really was amazing. But it was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I had a mission president that didn't like sister missionaries or give us the same treatment. I was judged as a lesser missionary from the day I arrived in Spain. I would totally go with Morgan when we're old. I would love that, but go again, and relive the things I did, alone? No way!

Sorry for my novel!

McKelle said...

I meant IT was amazing...Not I. I definitely was not amazing!

wackywilsons said...

I CAN TOTALLY RELATE!!! Neuquen Argentina, what??? That is what I thought when I read that place... The Patagonia? Known for extreme temperatures and as a camping place/? I did most of my shopping at REI! Gortex jackets and sleeping bags!

I know what you mean; loved the mission and hated it. The best thing I learned; my importance of being a daughter of God.

Thank goodness for MAN, b/c I met Elder Wilson via Pres George!

I loved your pics...exactly how I remember you...and always being so jealous of your long red hair, hidden secret notes and the love affair that all the Elders had with you....not to mention Hna Cuello loved you and hated me!

Susanna said...

Wow! 8 years. Can you believe it's been that long? Well, three babies later you've done well with your time :) What a trip to relive all those memories. It definitely makes me nostalgic. I loved being a missionary!

Amy said...

What a cute sis. missionary you were. I don't think I would be as strong as your mom was. If my daughter was crying to me and told me they changed their mind and wanted to stay, I'd be like, OK! I bet it was all worth it just to meet Jason!

Libby said...

i love the last pictures...they look nothing like you! you actually kind of look like drew barrymore in them. kind of funny. and by the way i am so glad you cut your hair...do you realize you had THE same hair 8 years ago?! i still think you need some "swooshy bangs"! looks awesome. love the mission pictures. thanks for sharing.

Jill said...

love the post! I got all teary-eyed thinking about that again.

Will & Cheyenne said...

Hey girl~
I am so jealous! I always wanted to serve, but it just didn't work out that way. I am so proud of you!! I would love to hear more mission stories sometime.

Anonymous said...

Even with the pictures, it's still hard for me to imagine you in such a rugged place! All the more credit to you that you did it and loved it. And that picture of you with Jason right next to you gives me butterflies - little did you know what was in store for the two of you, you guys have such a great little love story. Zach and I's is so boring, we met at Liberty Square at BYU, us and how many other couples? So lame...Could I borrow those brown boots? I have some dresses that would look great with them!

Arah Debra said...

What an amazing experience. I still get sad sometimes that I didn't go on my mission. I know I made the right choice, but I still think about it. Hopefully Steve and I'll be able to go as a couple someday. It's hard to picture you in an area like that, but I bet you were an amazing missionary.

{Jason and Elan} said...

Thank you for not posting a pic of me on there, that was the fattest time of my life! We had some good times those last few weeks of your mission. It was fun to see your pics. I can't believe it has been so long since we were there!

EFN Newsletter said...

Jana I love how much you loved your mission. It makes me want to cry.

Anonymous said...

jana, hey, libby says you guys are headed to spokane! do you need someone to show you around? when are you coming? you can email me if you want.:)

carpickering@hotmail.com

McKelle said...

Sorry I didn't call and didn't bring you food. I suck!!! Please forgive me and remember that I did bring you food to the MTC! Can't wait to see you!

Kari said...

It was your call to Argentina that really inspired me to want to serve a mission. It was a lot of fun knowing you were in Argentina and I was only 400 miles away in Chile. (I know, that's still pretty far but closer than I was to Utah!) Thanks for being my example and inspiration. In my Spanish scriptures that I keep by my bedside, I still have a sticker that you sent me while we were out - it's the one with the girl sitting in the night sky and it says "I'm His Daughter." Did I ever tell you that was an answer to prayer?! :) I love it when others are inspired to help me.

Bringhursts said...

Oh, I can totally see you as a little feisty missionary making your companions laugh all the time. You always had that effect on me. Good job, Jana. You rock!

Tanya said...

I'm sure you were an awesome missionary!

Hillary said...

I am so happy for you. I can only imagine how that experience shaped you into the person you are today. It's amazing to me when you are on the Lord's errand that no matter how difficult the situation, and if you are doing all within your power to be obedient, how he blesses your life. I love that you would do it again, that says so much.

jared & amber said...

I can't believe that it has been 8 years! I'm so glad you and McKelle went on Missions so that Kara and I could live through you.

Michele said...

I love the pictures...you look so cute. I have a hard time picturing you in such a physically uncomfortable mission but there you are! And loving it to boot! Kudos to you!!

Trimbles said...

I LOVE IT!!!! I cant believe however that its been 8 years! I always think its been 6 since we returned, 8 just sounds so long! Thanks for the good reminder of those lovely days.

Allison said...

Ahhh! Hermanita! Thanks for finding my blog--how fun to see yours. I have so many fond memories of some of those same places and apartments. The mission was hard but I think it's like giving birth? Somehow you forget the details about the hard stuff (or I did) but I remember that it was hard just like labor...we forget how much it hurts while giving birth (and after!) so we keep having kids eh?! :)

Anyway! It's fun to see your adorable family! I'll have to check in from time to time! Glad you're doing well... :) Hermana Driggs :)

Lisa said...

You little missionary! Was fun to se pictures and I can only imagine your send-off. Your poor mom! : )

McKelle said...

Jana are you in Utah? If you are, you better call me soon!!!

Radene said...

Jana, it's so neat to learn about that part of you. What neat pictures and powerful learning experiences you must have had there. I admire you for serving a mission. I hope to someday with Justin. It has obviously made you a stronger person and all that much more likable too. Thanks for sharing that part of yourself. Your thoughts and pictures are invigorating and inspiring.

Krissy Lowe said...

Those were fun pictures to see, and I can totally hear both of your parents saying what they did in the airport...that made me laugh. You are awesome.